Dr. Ilie-Elian Radu
+49 30 6392 1315
Member of Projects: 3.2 "Solids and Nanostructures: Electrons, Spins, and Phonons"
My research work focuses on femtosecond laser-induced ultrafast spin, lattice and charge processes in condensed matter in order to drive ultrafast magnetic phase transitions and spin switching phenomena. In particular, we seek to understand and eventually control the magnetic order at the nanoscale with femtosecond time resolution.
To achieve these goals we follow a two-fold experimental approach:
(1) We employ resonant and selective photo-excitations in magnetically ordered materials at photon energies ranging from THz (meV) to soft X-ray (keV) spectral range in order to drive ultimately fast magnetic phenomena (see Figure).
(2) Using element-, quasiparticle- an mode-specific probing techniques we are able to directly measure and disentangle the subsequent dynamics of each constituent sub-system, i.e. electrons, lattice, spins, on their characteristic time- and length-scales.
- since 2016 Senior Scientist, Max-Born Institute Berlin
- 2015-2015 Senior Scientist, Technical University Berlin and Helmholtz
Zentrum Berlin – BESSY II
- 2012-2015 Group Leader ‘Ultrafast Magnetism on Elemental Time and Length
Scales’, Helmholtz Zentrum Berlin – BESSY II
- 2008-2012 Postdoctoral Research Associate, Prof. Dr. Theo Rasing, Radboud
University Nijmegen, Netherlands
- 2006-2008 Postdoctoral Research Associate, Prof. Dr. Christian Back,
Regensburg University, Germany
- 2006 Ph.D. in the group of Prof. Dr. Martin Wolf at the Free University
- 2001 M.Sc., Physics, West University of Timisoara, Romania and Free
University Berlin, Germany
- 1999 B.Sc., Physics, West University of Timisoara, Romania
Publications at MBI
List of own publications (selected) with no relation to MBI:
- Efficient metallic spintronic emitters of ultrabroadband terahertz radiation
T. Seifert et al., Nature Photonics 10, 483-488 (2016).
- High-Field High-Repetition-Rate Sources for the Coherent THz Control of Matter
B. Green et al., Scientific Reports 6, 22255 (2016).
- Probing ultrafast spin dynamics with high-harmonic magnetic circular dichroism spectroscopy
F. Willems et al., Phys. Rev. B. 92, 220405 (2015).
- Ultrafast and Distinct Spin Dynamics in Magnetic Alloys
I. Radu et al., SPIN 5, 1550004 (2015).
- Ultrafast thermally induced magnetic switching in synthetic ferrimagnets
R.F.L. Evans, T.A. Ostler, R.W. Chantrell, I. Radu and Th. Rasing, Appl. Phys. Lett. 103, 132403 (2014).
- Terahertz spin current pulses controlled by magnetic heterostructures
T. Kampfrath et al., Nature Nanotechnology 8, 256-260 (2013).
- Nanoscale spin reversal by non-local angular momentum transfer following ultrafast laser excitation in ferrimagnetic GdFeCo
C.E. Graves et al., Nature Materials 12, 293-298 (2013).
- Perpendicular exchange bias in ferrimagnetic spin valves
F. Radu et al., Nature Communications 3, 715 (2012).
- Transient ferromagnetic-like state mediating ultrafast reversal of antiferromagnetically coupled spins
I. Radu et al., Nature 472, 205-208 (2011).
- Laser-induced generation and quenching of magnetization on FeRh studied with time-resolved X-ray magnetic circular dichroism
I. Radu et al., Phys. Rev. B., 81, 104415 (2010).
- Laser-induced magnetization dynamics of lanthanide-doped permalloy thin films
I. Radu et al., Physical Review Letters 102, 117201 (2009).
- Coherent optical phonons and parametrically coupled magnons induced by femtosecond laser excitation of the Gd(0001) surface
A. Melnikov, I. Radu et al., Physical Review Letters 91, 227403 (2003).